Roden 5


Sunday, August 9, 2009

Going, going, gone

All year long I wait for summer and it always goes by so fast. I sometimes wish that I was a winter person because that season drags on forever. But we've had a lot of fun, and we always make a lot of memories that keep us going until next year.

Just as we were about to pull away from our beach site for that last time, Janie lost her tooth (while trying to whack her brother, I might add), leaving a gaping hole in the front of her face. We have high hopes that the world's largest permanent tooth will soon be filling the void.

And, just when you thought school finally got out for the summer, it started again. Janie and Derek started 1st and 5th grades the day after we got home from Cali. Luckily, they both like school. I am headed into territory I haven't been in for many years where I will have all my children gone all day. I guess I will need a hobby now.


We just got back from Snowbird. It's always a fun end of summer, though this year was a little strange because Meghan was at camp and Janie and Derek had school. We still had fun, though, and the kids got to miss 2 days of school.




This is us on the way up the mountain on what was to be a death-defying chairlift adventure. Well, I probably exaggerate a tad. But the storm you see in the background of the next picture made it so that we had to double time it on the way down. What was a leisurely 20 minute ride up the mountain turned into a harrowing 12 minute ride back down. When the lift operator warns you that your stomach may not like the ride down, you know you're in trouble.



The last day of our week included a blue jay that entered our fireplace from the chimney (not shown), and a ground hog (pot gut) that crawled into my sunscreen bag at the pool and scared the bejeebies out of me when I tried to reach into it (also not shown).


Snowbird is the perfect place to go in August when it's 98 degrees in the valley and a cool 80 something up there. We even had a cold couple of days when a freak cold front came through. Now it's time to get back to reality. Sigh.

No comments:

Post a Comment